Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Baby Changes Everything

This is a poem I have been "laboring" over recently and I wanted to share it with you. Please don't think I am a kid-hater after you read it -- I'm definitely not. I don't have children, but I enjoy spending time with my nieces and nephews and my friends' kids when I have the chance.


A BABY CHANGES EVERYTHING

When a baby is born
The first thing it does is cry
It knows this is the day
Its innocence dies

It takes its first breath
And quickly takes another
Looks around the room
For its so-called mother
Who forces a smile
Then goes to sleep
And prays the lord
Her soul to keep
She isn’t much more
Than a baby herself
How’s she supposed to
Take care of someone else?
Her friends all told her
It’s cool to be a mom
But in her mind
A baby is like a bomb
‘Cause when it drops
Your life becomes a mess
And it never goes back
To normal-ness

When a baby is born
It opens its eyes and screams
Because it realizes
The futility of its dreams



No comments:

Post a Comment