Saturday, October 29, 2011

Don't Take Candy From Strangers - Unless, Of Course, It's Halloween

Why is everyone so seemingly surprised that there's an obesity problem in our country? I mean, we do live in the land of plenty. Why shouldn't we be allowed to celebrate our wealth and abundance with a little overindulgence? Especially during the holiday season. Beginning with Halloween and continuing through New Year's, food is all around us, and not much of it is of the healthy variety. Have you been to Target or Wal-Mart this week? There's more Halloween candy, cookies, cakes, etc. on the shelves than produce. And that, my friends, is not necessarily a bad thing. We may be overweight in the United States, but at least we're enjoying our sweets. If God hadn't meant for us to enjoy sugar, she wouldn't have made our tongues with an entire section for tasting sweet foods, now, would she? I for one plan on eating my share of candy corn and chocolate mini-candy bars this weekend. Why should kids have all the fun? Yes, I'm 50, and yes, I should know better than to eat too much junk food, but the way I figure, if I've been getting away with it for fifty years, it must not be THAT bad for me. I don't have diabetes. I still have my teeth. And my friends always know they can count on me for a chocolate fix when they need one. And, well, if it does kill me one day, I'm gonna die with that proverbial smile (and a smear of Dove chocolate) on my face. Please don't pray for me to see the error of my ways and start eating healthier. If I go to Hell for overindulging in sugar, at least I'll be surrounded by kindred spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment