Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Occupy This

For the last several weeks I've been trying to figure out what the "Occupy" movement is really about. Is it a grass-roots reflection of economic frustration in our country? Is it a project undertaken by bored, attention-seeking citizens to kill time? Is it a viable movement that will influence the outcome of the upcoming presidential election? I dunno. I've been watching the television news coverage of the gatherings of protesters in various cities in the United States, trying to get a feeling for what it is they're trying to accomplish, and I'm still not sure I get it. Maybe if my husband were to be laid off and we were not getting his healthy paycheck every two weeks, I'd be more inclined to feel camaraderie with the "ninety-nine percent". Maybe not. I have a few friends and relatives who think the Occupy movement is a great thing, but to me, seems  too diffuse, disorganized, and disruptive to be taken seriously.  As a writer and free speech advocate, I fully support the right of people to protest peacefully, Occupants included. However, when they choose to hold protests at hotels or ports or other locations where big businesses conduct their daily operations, the people who are hurt most are the employees of those businesses, not the executives, and that to me is at odds with what the Occupy movement claims to stand for. And I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way.

1 comment:

  1. A group in D.C. has set up a campground with tents so they can get out of the cold and sleep some. Some neighbors and workers in the area are expressing disapproval of the campground, which is occupying a spot people used to use as a park. According to the news, the protesters are allowed to set up tents there but they're not allowed to sleep in them. Maybe their REAL goal is to rub people the wrong way, not protest the dismal state of the economy.

    ReplyDelete