Friday, May 27, 2011

Hot Stuff

Maybe I'm getting old (I am almost 50), but I'm just not as interested in acquiring more stuff like I used to be. Only a few hours ago, I saw an adorable purse in Target that a couple of years ago I would have bought in a heartbeat, and yet I managed to leave the store without it, opting instead to buy a box of sanitary napkins with the money. (Sorry, TMI, I know.). What is happening to me? Where is my urge to splurge? Has the recession taken the wind out my "sales"? Or have I finally gotten control of my spending? I dunno. All I know is It feels wrong, even un-American, to have lost touch with my inner shopaholic.  In this country, we're bombarded with advertising trying to sell us more and more stuff, the underlying  message being that we need it to be happy or complete. I'm not completely immune to this pretty persuasion -- I do enjoy looking at ads for clothes or shoes or makeup -- but  I no longer hear that little voice whispering in my ear telling me I need to buy any of it...
However disorienting this change in my shopping behavior is for me, it might turn out to be a good thing come September. I'm planning to move into a new home then, and the less schtuff I (and the movers) have to schlep from here to there, the better for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment