Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Weather is Hot, That's What's Hot

Every year at this time, I like to give a big, sloppy farewell kiss to winter, followed immediately by a long and welcoming hug to spring. I love the season that occupies the months of April and May and most of June. It makes me so happy to open the windows to let the spring breeze into my house and hear the birds singing again after their winter hiatus. Notice I said I like to welcome SPRING! NOT SUMMER, but spring! I say this emphatically because today it was in the low 80s in the metro Washington area, and if felt like summer had arrived -- two months too soon. Is it just me, or does spring seem to get shorter every year? Lately we make the transition from winter coats to tank tops in the space of a few weeks. Am I the only one who wishes spring lasted longer ? For me, spring is more than a season -- it's a period of rebirth and optimism that I find very useful in helping me clear out the winter cobwebs in my mind's attic.
Oh, yea! I just heard a meteorologist on tv saying the high temperatures in our area tomorrow will be in the seasonable 60s. I sure hope she's right. And I won't gripe about an April shower or two if it means that spring is going to stick around for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment